I, Eric Friedman, personally commit to the following:
- Communicate to the firm community our diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) strategy to support, develop and advance Skadden attorneys, including those with diverse experiences and backgrounds, consistent with our commitment to DEI.
- Use my platform as the leader of one of the world’s largest law firms to advocate for systemic changes to uproot racial inequity in our society.
- Engage with our senior partners about the value and importance to the firm of their active support of firm citizenship, including DEI, particularly with respect to their sponsorship and mentorship of attorneys.
- Periodically meet with our junior partners, including those with diverse experiences and backgrounds, to hear about their practices and perspectives on ways the firm/I can support their development and leadership goals.
- Meet twice a year with LCLD Fellows and Pathfinders (with an expected ongoing relationship with those individuals) for updates about their experiences at our firm and, for current participants, their feedback on LCLD
- Speak with LCLD member colleagues about opportunities to collaborate on initiatives that support our mutual objectives to develop, retain and advance talented attorneys, including those with diverse experiences and backgrounds, at our respective organizations.
- Commit firm resources to assess our key talent management processes, particularly, recruiting, work allocation, performance feedback (including our processes for measuring core competencies by level and capturing upward feedback) and education and learning programs, to improve diversity, equity and
- Provide attorneys with billable hours equivalent credit for eligible activities/leadership that advance the firm’s citizenship priorities, including efforts in furtherance of our diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
- Promote leadership and partner accountability by implementing an annual DEI action planning process for our practice groups.
- Encourage partners to add DEI to the meeting agenda for any “relationship review meetings” with clients and explore client interest in collaborating on DEI projects.
- Continue our focus on DEI within our professional staff, including through development, promotion and hiring opportunities.
As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to encourage and promote attorneys and professional staff from all backgrounds and identities.