- This event has passed.
2023 On-The-Road: West Region
2023 West Region Fellows and Pathfinders, join your regional cohorts for the On-The-Road West session in San Francisco, hosted by Cooley LLP.
- 11:30 am – 12:00 pm: Registration
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm: Lunch
- 1:00 – 2:30 pm: Why I Find You Irritating: Navigating Generational Friction at Work, Chris Desantis
- 2:30 – 3:00 pm: Break
- 3:00 – 4:30 pm: Better Lawyering Through Mindfulness, Jeena Cho
- 4:30 pm: Dine-Arounds (optional; separate registration required)
Why I Find You Irritating: Navigating Generational Friction at Work:
People are living longer, working longer, and changing jobs more frequently than any other time in our history. The workplace and the workforce are no longer what it was when our father’s father left the house each morning, worked hard each day, did what the company asked, and retired when it was time to do so. This nostalgic view of work was probably more romance than reality, but the image left a mark on the generation that followed. Events shape perceptions, perceptions become beliefs, and beliefs become the basis for our values. Welcome to the new world of work.
Better Lawyering Through Mindfulness:
Recent studies show that lawyers struggle with a very high rate of stress, anxiety, and mental health issues. A cornerstone of being a good lawyer requires the lawyer to maintain their mental, emotional, and physical well-being. In this interactive workshop, you’ll learn:
- The latest research on lawyer burnout, stress, anxiety, depression, trauma, and other issues lawyers face
- Understanding the physiology of the stress response
- How mindfulness can decrease distraction and increase productivity
- Practical mindfulness practices you can incorporate into your day to return to homeostasis
- Using mindfulness to overcome feelings of self-doubt and negative thought patterns
- Mindfulness strategies for breaking the negativity bias